Up to 24 percent better fuel economy points the way to the future
Polo brings new dimension of quality to the supermini class. Three engines; TSI and Common Rail TDI in the Polo for the first time. 4.6 litre fuel consumption and 121 g/km CO2 set new benchmark. ESP is standard; significantly improved crash properties
* At the Geneva Motor Show at the beginning of March 2009, the Polo debuted with a completely new look and technology. After its celebrated world premiere, this latest Volkswagen is now entering the Australian market. Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn: “The new Polo fulfills the highest standards of the automotive present and goes a step further. Its extremely efficient drive technologies, best possible active and passive safety systems, a level of quality never before attained in this car class and impressive design all set new benchmarks in the fifth generation of this bestseller that has sold over 10.6 million units.” The Chairman of the Board of Management of the Volkswagen Group continues: “The Polo is clearly the right car at the right time. Here we have created a Volkswagen that takes the unparalleled success of the Golf concept and effectively transfers it to an independent segment – the Polo class.”
* Another key fact: No other car in its class has such a mature and high-end image as the new Polo. Comfort, quality and safety have all taken a considerable leap forward. One example: among other things, the Polo was specifically designed to attain the recently established, stricter and more comprehensive, 5-star EuroNCAP rating. The greater structural rigidity of the Polo’s bodyshell contributes to these results. In the footwell area alone, intrusion – related to the car body’s resistance to deformation in a frontal crash – was lowered by 50 percent. In the case of a side impact, the intrusion value was reduced by 20 percent.
Standard equipment for safety
* In addition, the Polo is equipped with standard ESP electronic stabilization program with Hill Start Assist, and it has a highly effective network of airbags on board, including front, front side and side curtain airbags (head airbag system for front and rear passengers), belt tensioners and belt force limiters plus seatbelt warning indicator and head restraints that counteract the risk of whiplash injury (both front seats), three rear head restraints with 3 point seatbelts for all passengers.
* Volkswagen has rearranged the line structure of its equipment lines since the previous model: “Trendline” represents the entry level variant, and “Comfortline” refers to the upgraded equipment level. Convenience features that are already standard features of the Polo Trendline include: electro-hydraulic power steering, power windows in front, remote central locking, luggage compartment lighting and load restraining hooks, warning buzzer headlight-on, height adjustment for driver’s seat and vanity mirrors in the sun visors. Meanwhile, black cloth seat upholstery gives the interior a perceptibly high-end ambiance.
Fuel consumption down
* Introduction of new TDI and TSI engines, and the 7-speed dual clutch transmission (DSG), has resulted in considerable improvement in fuel economy and reduced emissions over a wide range of engine power outputs. An excellent example here is the new 1.2 TSI. This turbo-charged four-cylinder direct injection petrol engine produces 77 kW, yet it consumes just 5.5 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres (128 g/km CO2); this is 24 percent less than on the equivalent model of the previous generation!
Three engines for the Polo
* In total, 3 different engines will be offered – two petrol and one diesel. The 66TDI and 77TSI engines are being used for the first time in the Polo.
* Polo Trendline
* Polo Comfortline
* 1.4 with 63 kW
* 1.2 TSI with 77 kW
* 1.6 TDI with 66 kW
Key changes compared to the previous generation
* New TSI and Common Rail TDI engines
* All engines fulfill the Euro-5 emissions standard
* Up to 24 percent improvement in fuel economy
* Innovative 7-speed DSG appears in the Polo for first time
* First vehicle in its class that fulfills the new, more stringent
* EuroNCAP 5-Star standard
* Awarded ANCAP 5-Star rating
* ABS is standard
* ESP is standard
* Front, side and curtain airbags are standard
* Audio systems from higher vehicle classes (Golf, Passat)
* Completely new level of quality in its class
* Length: 4,064 mm (+ 148mm compared to prior model)
* Width: 1,682 mm (+ 32mm compared to prior model)
* Height: 1,500 mm (+ 33mm compared to prior model)
* Wheel base: 2,456 mm (+ 2mm compared to prior model)
* Track width: fr. 1,464 mm (+ 46mm compared to prior model)
rr. 1,456 mm (+ 46mm compared to prior model)
Leave a comment