The new XR 1200™ (launched in Valencia, Spain, April 2008) combines great street performance with purposeful motorcycling style and presence inspired by Harley-Davidson’s successful XR750™ Flat Track racing bike.
XR 1200 is the first Harley-Davidson® motorcycle which has been designed specifically for European customers. Harley-Davidson’s European Product Planning Team was involved from the beginning of the XR 1200 project, resulting in a motorcycle which is built for the twists and turns of European roads, and one that represents the company’s commitment to the needs and desires of customers in the European market.
The bike’s original inspiration draws from the success of the XR750 racing bike, which has been dominant in the American Flat Track racing scene since its launch in 1970. However, the XR 1200’s handling and performance characteristics are definitely street based. European expert riders and European roads played a crucial role in the ride and handling development of the bike. French former Endurance champion and GP racer Adrien Morillas participated in the development, as well as Flat Track aces Scott Parker and Rich King.
“XR 1200 is a new breed of Harley-Davidson motorcycle”, commented John Lewis, Marketing & Product Planning Director of Harley-Davidson Europe. “As well as being a great looking and handling bike, XR 1200 is also a clear demonstration of our ability and desire to create motorcycles aimed specifically at European riders. Since the launch, the response from the European bike media and customers has been very encouraging, so XR 1200 looks set to pave the way for a new generation of European-oriented Harley-Davidson motorcycles”, Lewis continued.
“The new Harley-Davidson XR 1200 clearly demonstrates the Harley-Davidson Motor Company’s commitment to the European market and intent to attract new customers. Performance-oriented customers who aspire to owning a Harley-Davidson but who are seeking a fine handling Roadster with great street performance and tremendous character. XR 1200 is very clearly a Harley-Davidson but one that draws on the company’s proud Flat Track racing heritage”, said Lewis.
Key features & technical highlights:
Styling and Ergonomics
- Styling and livery inspired by the legendary Harley-Davidson XR750 flat track racer
- Wide, black handlebars for dirt track looks and superb control
- Semi-rearset footrests for excellent cornering clearance
- Seat height 742mm (laden with 81.7kg rider weight)
- Ergonomics designed around average height European male rider
- Standard pillion seat and passenger footrests
Powertrain, Intake and Exhaust
- Isolation-mounted high torque 1202cc Evolution™ V-Twin engine finished in silver powdercoat
- Downdraft Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) and electronically controlled active intake system
- Upswept, high-volume 2-1-2 straight shot exhaust system finished in satin chrome
- Precision oil-cooled cylinder heads
Wheels, Brakes and Tyres
- Unique, lightweight cast wheels with a Flat Track inspired 3-spoke design, finished in black
- Powerful Nissin® dual front brakes with 4 piston callipers and 292mm patented uniform expansion rotors
- Dunlop® Qualifier D209 tyres developed specifically for the XR 1200 (front 120/70ZR18; rear 180/55ZR17)
- Sport-tuned Showa® suspension featuring 43mm inverted front forks and pre-load adjustable twin rear shock absorbers
- Unique compact instruments with prominent white faced tachometer, digital speedometer, dual trip meter and clock
- Aircraft style aluminium alloy fuel filler
- Harley-Davidson® hands free Smart Security System
- Hazard warning lights operated by turn signal controls
Leave a comment